I totally love elephants. I really do. One day I’ll have an elephant of my own. Or work in a zoo, specialized with the elephant. Either way. I don’t think I’ll go on out in the wilderness chasing elephants – well that too, but I want to get to know them, touch them, play with them. Which is why I want an elephant. Or work with one. Or two.
Anyway, I researched a little bit and I found a few fun facts about the elephant:
1. An elephant calf sucks it’s trunk for comfort.
2. Elephants are the only animal that can’t jump.
3. It’s the largest animal on the planet.
4. An elephant can drink up to 80 gallons of water per day / the trunk can hold 2-2.5 gallons of water.
5. Elephants have been known to learn up to 60 commands!
6. Spend 16-18 hours a day walking.
7. Can eat 100-1000 pounds of vegetation per day.
8. Can be up to 70+ years old – I’ll have my companion throughout all my life!
9. Elephants purr like cats.
10. Elephants prefer one tusk over the other just as people are left and right handed.
11. They use their trunk as a snorkel when swimming – they can swim for very long periods of time.
12. Elephants, despite their large ears, hear poorly. They have small eyes compared to the large body, and also sees poorly. Elephants listen with their feet and pics up sub.sonic rumblings and vibrations in the ground.
13. They waive their tusks up in the air and from side to side to smell better.
14. An elephant’s skin is an inch thick!
15. Thailand has elephant as their national symbol.
I love elephants for a number of reasons. Elephants grieve when another elephant dies. They have amazing memory. They know when their time is close to die. They are strong, live long lives, are loyal, hard working. Elephants are known to symbolize patience, strength, power, perseverance, wisdom, dignity, and energy. I’m sure they are a lot more symbols also, but these are the ones I found researching.
I also found a few quotes on elephants – a couple funny ones, a couple serious ones, and a couple really true ones: